My Small Business Journey (Part 1)

My name is Anthony Khoury and I was born in Melbourne Australia. My father had a small business from the time he migrated to Australia back in the 1960s. He was a slave and extremely ambitious. He learned at a young age that you have 2 choices in life. You work with your hands or you work with your brain. It is that plain and simple. From a young age he instilled in me a work ethic and a tough as nails approach to life. Tony (my father) was the most charismatic, easygoing, charming mortal you ever met but if he looks at you the wrong way, so you better start running. He was as tough as nails.

I was forced, yes really, forced to attend University after high and ordered to do a Bachelor of Economics with a major in merchandising. In the late 1980′s Marketing was the big matter and everyone wanted to take this up as a degree. Unfortunately, someplace crosswise this time period, people got this confused with gross sales so when you went for a merchandising job, you complete up doing telecommerce (God forbid) and door to door gross sales. Not exactly glamorous.

  KEYWORD VOLUME TOOL GOOGLE

I got through University and went working in cordial reception for 8 years. Running a pizza feeding house with my father was tough but a great experience. At 25 I was at the cross roads in my life. No money, a degree that I didn't want to use and a very bad attitude to hard work. Finishing 4 years of University so going to work? What was my father thinking? What I did know though, was that I wanted my own small business.

ATTORNEY SEO MARKETING

I was now working 80 hours a week and after 2 years I was starting to get really depressed. No more gym, no more holidays, no more partying, no more life. I was in a prison but acquiring paid for it. One day I was acquiring a pizza at a girlfriend's place and detected a electric icebox attraction. On the back of the electric icebox attraction I detected a number and thought it would be a cool idea for my pizza shop. First matter Monday I called the number in excitement and the guy who answered said "Hello, Mister Magnets, Matthew Bridges speaking." I went to school with his brother and we spoke at length about electric icebox attractions. He came over to the feeding house and I complete up ordering these electric icebox attractions from him. Over a period of a year about we became good friends and each time I would see him he was pumped.

Matthew would walk in the shop and in essence it was like a bright light. Happy, confident, content, he had it all. He was a man on a mission. Every week he would come in and order pizzas and have a new story. I'm going to America to export attractions, I'm setting up a merchandising team, I'm doing this, and I'm doing that. I was awed this man.

I had such respect for him. Every week I would look forward to him coming in to work. After a patc he said to me, "Anthony, no offence to your business but you don't belong here. It's not about being smarter than everyone at your work but you have such to offer. You have a job, not a business. You are always working. You need to change your modus vivend"

He bimanual me a copy of the E-myth and I read the book back to front in to a bit degree 2 days. I felt like I have been converted. It was the most intoxicating, exhilarating feeling I'd ever had. There was a better way to do matters and now this was my once in a life-time chance to do it.

After few months of research I definite to start merchandising promotional stickers to the United States. Matthew was doing Fridge Magnets so in essence I was replicating what he did but with a different product. When I told my father I was going he said that I was brainwashed and that you cannot have a modus vivend in business. To prove your humanity you had to endure 80 hours of work a week. That was the sign of a real man according to him. Well DAD, possibly in 1970 but not in the year 2000. Talk about a false sense of reality. My mother was very positive as well, "Anthony, you will ne'er get an chance like the pizza shop, you will be beggary for your job back. You will amount to nomatter, you lazy ---", well you get the picture.

Business Coach


My Small Business Journey (Part 1)
My Small Business Journey (Part 1)

Post a Comment

0 Comments